Award Amount: $50,000 per year
Years of Grant: 2017-2021
Grantee: Hamilton County Developmental Disabilities Services
Council staff responsible: Fatica Ayers
Goal of Grant
By the end of year two, at least 50 aging caregivers who support people with disabilities will have increased access to information that will assist them to find services and supports that provides relief.
Updates and Articles
The Future is Now! Series Kicks Off in Hamilton County
April 2, 2018: Hamilton County Developmental Disabilities Services is pleased to present The Future is Now, a free multi-part series designed to help older caregivers and their family members make plans for the future. Throughout the series, families get help to create a letter of intent. A letter of intent is a non-legal document that captures family desires and goals for the future. Creating a letter of intent can help families gain peace of mind that comes with having a plan.
Each session offers an opportunity to learn about important topics to create the letter of intent, such as:
- Naming hopes, dreams, and worries for the future;
- Strengthening and expanding personal networks of friends and supporters;
- Identifying the desired future living arrangements; and
- Making the most of public benefits over the lifespan.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
These sessions are designed for families that include a member with a disability whose caregiver is age 60 or older. All members of the family are encouraged to attend, including caregivers, the family member with a disability, siblings, and close family friends.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE SESSIONS?
Sessions will be hosted by a family member and a person with a disability who have had training and experience planning for the future. Participation will be limited to ten families.
Breakout sessions, co-led by an advocacy team will be offered for the family members with a disability. Caregivers will have their own session. An expert speaker will present on specific topics during each session. Family members will have a chance to ask questions and interact with one another.
WHEN AND WHERE ARE THE SESSIONS?
You have three options to choose from:
- Option 1: Two Saturdays (April 14 and 21) from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Starfire, 5030 Oaklawn Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio 45227
- Option 2: Four Thursdays (June 7, 14, 21, and 28) from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Starfire, 5030 Oaklawn Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio 45227
- Option 3: Two Saturdays (September 15 and 22) from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Community Matters, 2104 St. Michael Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45204
HOW TO REGISTER
To register, contact Dawn at 513-559-6814 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the event flyer here: The Future Is Now - Future Planning Sessions for Families with an Older Caregiver
Return to Current Projects