This Week in Public Policy provides a summary of policy and legislation in Ohio and at the federal level that is of interest to people with disabilities.
To subscribe to these weekly updates, send an email to Paul Jarvis at email@example.com.
Click here to read previous week's updates.
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019, the Ohio Senate seated Theresa Gavarone as the Senator to the 2nd Senate District in Ohio. The seat became vacant when Randy Gardner was named to serve in Governor Mike DeWine’s cabinet. The House of Representatives will now begin accepting applications to fill Gavarone’s vacant seat.
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019, the Ohio House seated Adam Holmes as the Representative to the 97th House District. The seat became vacant when Brian Hill was named to fill the seat made vacant by Troy Balderson’s departure to serve in Congress.
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019, the Ohio General Assembly announced they would convene in a joint session to hear Governor Mike DeWine’s first State of the State. The joint session will occur in the House chambers of the Ohio Statehouse. This is a return to tradition as former Governor John Kasich preferred to deliver his State of the State addresses in varying locations around Ohio.
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019, the Ohio House of Representatives elected their leadership posts as follows:
- Jim Butler – Speaker Pro Tempore
- Emilia Sykes – Minority Leader
- Bill Seitz – Majority Floor Leader
- Kristin Boggs – Assistant Minority Leader
- Anthony DeVitis – Asst. Maj. Floor Leader
- Kent Smith – Minority Whip
- Jay Edwards – Majority Whip
- Paula Hick-Hudson – Asst. Minority Whip
- Laura Lanese – Asst. Majority Whip
The Ohio Senate shuffled some majority leadership positions, with Matt Huffman moving up to Majority Floor Leader and Jay Hottinger as Majority Whip.
Legislative committees have not been fully disclosed, but Scott Oelslager has been named Chair of the House Finance Committee and Matt Dolan has been named Chair of the Senate Finance Committee, with Dave Burke named as Vice-Chair and Vernon Sykes as Ranking Member. In the adoption of the House Rules, the committees in the 133rd General Assembly will be:
- Aging and Long-Term Care
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Armed Services and Veteran’s Affairs
- Civil Justice
- Criminal Justice
- Criminal Sentencing Subcommittee
- Commerce and Labor
- Economic and Workforce Development
- Energy and Natural Resources
- Energy Generation Subcommittee
- Agriculture, Development, and Natural Resources Subcommittee
- Health and Human Services Subcommittee
- Higher Education Subcommittee
- Primary & Secondary Education Subcommittee
- Transportation Subcommittee
- Financial Institutions
- Higher Education
- Primary and Secondary Education
- Public Utilities
- Rules and Reference
- State and Local Government
- Transportation and Public Safety
- Ways and Means
One committee was eliminated from the previous General Assembly (Community and Family Advancement).
Still no deal to avert a second federal government shutdown. If a new resolution isn’t signed by, Friday, February 15, 2019, the federal government will be forced into a second shutdown.
NEXT Week in Public Policy - February 11 - 15, 2019
The Ohio Senate is scheduled to be in Session on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 1:30 p.m. It is expected that the first Senate Bills will begin to be introduced.
No committees identified.